Re: Concorde's other customers (There were none in the end!)

Date:         10 Dec 97 04:05:03
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

"Mihir Shah" <mishah@vt.edu> writes:
> Were there going to be any other serious customers anyways, even without the
> crash?  I can't imagine any airline based in the West that would even
> consider it.

Well, one fact alone would probably eliminate it from consideration:
its range was shorter than Concorde. Sort of a supersonic
Caravelle. What would you do with a supersonic plane without even
transatlantic range?  Unless you live in a dictatorship, over-land
flights were basically out of the question, so the Soviet Union and
China were the only conceivable customers, having long distances to
fly *and* tight control over public protest.

--
-Stephen H. Westin