Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         10 Dec 97 04:05:02
From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)

On 09 Dec 97 03:54:26 , "Damon Marcus Lewis" <dmlewis@mit.edu> wrote:
>James Matthew Weber wrote in message ...
>>It was more than just the sonic boom. The aircraft was is
>>exceptionally noisey. I have friends who used to live in Twyford UK,
>>just outside Reading. They were directly under the path of Concorde
>>for the trip to JFK, and about 35 miles from the end of the runway.
>>Everyafternoon about 4PM the whole house rattled.
>
>Were the rules for take-off different in the United States? I live under the
>former flight path the Concordes took upon approach to Dulles, and I can't
>recall them being any louder than another plane. I rarely saw them on
>takeoff, so I can't really compare. But, my question is did the Concorde
>follow different rules until it was off the coast to keep them quieter?

The short answer is yes. On takeoff in the USA, the afterburners are
shut off about 30 seconds into flight, and remain off until the
aircraft begins the runup to Mach 1, which occurs only after the
aricraft is out to sea. Dulles is a good way from the Atlantic Ocean,
so once burners are off, the aircraft flies about 20 minutes before
beginning the runup to Mach 1. Out of JFK, it usually takes a lot less
time to get clear of the mainland.

I believe out of Heathrow, they leave the burners on, and begin the
runup to Mach 1 as soon as they are clear of traffic, even it is is
over the UK. I  believe ATC in the UK is pretty good about getting
them clear of the airport traffic in a hurry.

I'd also point out the aircraft is a lot quieter on approach than on
takeoff. On approach, the aircraft is much lighter, and the burners
will always be off.