Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         10 Dec 97 04:05:02
From:         Peter Coe <petercoe@SpeedPick.com>

"Damon Marcus Lewis" <dmlewis@mit.edu> writes:

>James Matthew Weber wrote in message ...
>>It was more than just the sonic boom. The aircraft was is
>>exceptionally noisey. I have friends who used to live in Twyford UK,
>>just outside Reading. They were directly under the path of Concorde
>>for the trip to JFK, and about 35 miles from the end of the runway.
>>Everyafternoon about 4PM the whole house rattled.

>Were the rules for take-off different in the United States? I live under the
>former flight path the Concordes took upon approach to Dulles, and I can't
>recall them being any louder than another plane. I rarely saw them on
>takeoff, so I can't really compare. But, my question is did the Concorde
>follow different rules until it was off the coast to keep them quieter?

I took that route in 1994, in both directions.  On landing, the plane
doesn't really do anything special.  However, on take-off the plane
took some pretty drastic noise abatement moves.  These were much
worse than what might be experienced during the typical Orange
County take-off.  For starters, Concorde always takes off using
after burners.  If you have been anywhere near concorde when those
light up, you will kow they are gratuitously noisy.  So the sequence
of events is, plane starts rolling, 5 seconds later, one pair of
afterburners lights, followed swiftly by the other pair.  You really
feel those go!  The take-off is then pretty quick, but about 20 seconds
into the air, the burners are switched off, and the engines throttled
back. You are quite litterally thrown forward in your seats by this
sudden reduction in thrust.  The plane then waddled around the
countryside, comparatively low, and a very high nose up attitude
(which is typical of Concordes low speed handling).  It took quite
a long tim e before the altitude was sufficient for the thrust to be
increased, and the afterburners didn't get lit again until we were
way out over the sea.

>From the other end of the perspective, I used to live in South London
close to the approach path to Heathrow, and like everyone else has
mentioned, you knew when Concorde was flying over - even on approach.
The only other civilian airliners that were comparable were the soviet
aircraft.