Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:27
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I also read an article about the Concorde being good for about 20 more
>years. Can the world really handle that?

If there's a market now, why shouldn't there continue to be one over
the next 20 years?!  People don't just fly JFK-LHR once and then never
do it again.

>On British Airways, to be on a Concorde, it is $5,000 bucks a shot,
>one way.

If want to send a letter from California to New York, I can send it
via normal First Class mail for $0.32.  It'll probably take 3-5 days
to get there.  If I want to get it there in two business days, it
costs me a little over $8 -- 25 times as much to go about twice as
fast.

Compared to normal first class, the Concorde fare is only about
double, and you get there twice as fast.  Even compared to "bulk rate"
(er, economy) it's only about ten times as expensive.  For someone who
absolutely, positively has to be there ASAP, Concorde's fares seem
like a decent deal.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com