Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:27
From:         tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell)

tassio@watson.ibm.com writes:
<snip>
>barrier right above my head. How much noise will I perceive? If it is a
>heck of a lot, then you are right. If it is not, then the ban imposed by
>the US on supersonic flights over its own land was a political knee jerk
>to assure the Concorde was a failure.

I have heard the claim made a few times that the noise restrictions
"killed" the concorde (a few times in this thread in fact).

I would like to contest this claim.  Although the restrictions hurt
concorde sales to some extent, in the end, the plane isn't viable
economically.  There simply isn't a market for transportation that
costs more than $500 per man-hour saved.  They might have been able to
sell a few more of the planes without the flight restrictions, but the
airlines would have retired them quickly because they could not sell the
tickets at a price that covers the expenses.

Not to mention the fact that the planes would have been sold at a
loss.  Selling 20 more planes and losing an extra $100 million would
not have made the program any more successful.