Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:26
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>>I was at Edwards AFB for their recent airshow, which included an
>>SR-71B doing a Mach 3 flyover at about 75,000 ft.  The boom sounded
>>like a couple of gunshots from a few hundred yards.  I don't know if
>>lower speed would reduce the intensity (I have a feeling it wouldn't)
>>but lower altitude and a larger aircraft would probably cancel out any
>>advantage of lower speed.

>Several points. I don't know how well sound is conductedwhen the air
>density is very low. SR71 flys above the tropopause, Concode flys in
>the Troposphere. I also suspect there are some subtle features onthe
>SR71 to reduce it noise signature as well as it radar signature.

True.  The point I was attempting to make was that the SR-71 was
already pretty loud, and that Concorde would be even louder.  Your
comments just reinforce that.

>Even ignoring that, SR-71 and Concorde are of similar size and weight.
>On that basis, the 'boom' should have similar energy.

I guess it depends on your definition of similar.  At 408,000 lbs
MGTOW versus 140,000 lbs, I'd say Concorde is *much* heavier.  It's
also nearly twice as long.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com