Re: Concorde's other customers (There were none in the end!)

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:26
From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)

On 24 Nov 97 03:27:48 , "Mihir Shah" <mishah@vt.edu> wrote:
>>After that, only Aeroflot purchased *that* bird.
>
>Were there going to be any other serious customers anyways, even without the
>crash?  I can't imagine any airline based in the West that would even
>consider it.  Even Eastern Bloc nations probably didn't consider it too
>much, at least not before Aeroflot itself started serious service (which
>they never did, of course).  In other words, I couldn't really picture
>Interflug or LOT purchasing a Tu-144.  Who else?  China did not have good
>relations with the Soviets at the time, I believe.  Cuba?  North Korea?  I'm
>curious on this one (i.e.:  potential non-Aeroflot customers of the Tu-144,
>if there were any).

Aeroflot actually fly the TU-144 in domestic service for about a year.
I think the comments ignore a major problem with Concord and the
TU-144. For the Eastern Block, the number of destinations where the
aricraft was useful was very limited. While the Cubans would probably
have liked it, it lacked the range to get anywhere where the speed
advantage was useful. The Concorde (presumably the TU144 had very
similar range characteristics) makes it across the Atlantic from Paris
or London ro NY, Washington or Miami, but that is about all it can do.

About the only place the TU-144 could be flown was from Eastern
Europe/Soviet Union to the Siberia. It couldn't reach North America or
Asian destinations.

My own belief is the lack of any destinations where anyone could fly
the TU-144 had a lot to do with why no other airlines flew it, and
Aeroflot certainly didn't fly it for long.