Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:26
From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)

>I don't know why people make such a big deal about the noise of the
>concord on take off.  It really isn't much louder than a Harrier Jump
>jet hovering over your head.  ;-)

Obvioulsy you have never spent any time living under the departure
path. I have friends who used to live in Twyford in the UK. They were
about 40 miles off the end of the runway at Heathrow that was used for
most JFK departures. I used to stay there sometimes when I was in the
UK. Every afternoon about 4PM the whole house used to shake. It was
Concorde going over, you had to look very hard  to spot it. It must
have been over 10,000 feet when it went over. That is a guess, but
frequently you couldn't see it, it was above the clouds.. It was hard
to believe an aircraft that small, that far above could make that much
racket. As the house rattled, everyone used to say: 4 o'clock
Concorde!!

BTW, when I say directly under, I mean directly under. About 10 years
ago an Pan-AM 747 dropped part  an engine housing on the way out. It
ended up quite literally across the street!

I subsequently met someone who had worked on the engines, he assured
me that behind and beneath the Olympus engines, it really was very. I
very noisy. It's been a few years, but I think the guy's name was
FFolkes, and I remember  he was the Rank-Xerox Professor of
Aeronautics at Cambridge.