Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         27 Jan 97 02:45:55
From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Followups:    1 2 3

Merlin Dorfman <dorfman@netcom.com> wrote:
>     A couple of weeks ago in this newsgroup there was a thread about the
>number of (early) DC-10s in service as compared to few if any L-1011s.
>     A similar comment might be made about 707s and Dc-8s.  It has been
>a long time since I've seen a 707 (707-airframe TACAMOs and Joint STARS,
>yes, and a double-take at an A340 at DFW last year, but not an airline
>707).  But I frequently see DC-8s, in cargo service with new engines.
>     Is there a reason that the DC-8 airframes are still in service
>up to 30 years later while the 707s are not?

Actually, there are over 400 707's still in active commercial service.
Most are third world because they are Stage 1 howlers.  There is a
kit to put the CFM56 engines on the '07, but it is tres expensive.
Something on the order of $12Mill if memory serves...

Terry

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com