Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:25
From:         jf mezei <"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

Exiled Expat wrote:
> The 777 APU is the first commercial aircraft that I know of that now has
> electrical heating pads installed onto the APU Gearbox assy which is heated
> at all times that there is AC power on the aircraft to ensure better colld
> temperature starts.

Out of curiosity, do the aircraft used by Canadian North (CP) and First
Air (7F) that serve the high arctic have any provision for starting
their APUs in gournd conditions that are not that far off from flying at
altitude ?

CP has 737-200 Combis with the gravel runways modifications.
7F has 727 combis. (I assume they also have the gravel runway mods).

Is it true that in the very cold days, the planes land at Resolute and
leave one engine running while pax and cargo and loaded/unloaded on the
other side?

While techically not ETOPS flights, are these planes given ETOPS-like
maintenance etc because of the potentially harsh environment they must
operate under ? Also, if all the airports between Yellowknife and
Resolute are in a severe storm condition, but both Yellowknife and YRB
are clear, can they still operate these planes ?