Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:25
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes) wrote:

> In article <airliners.1997.2678@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
> C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote:
> >  I just returned from Auckland where we
> >filmed a story on Air New Zealand's 767 ETOPS capabilities.  They were
> >heavily involved in working with the vendor(s) to modify the 767's APU
> >back in the 1980s so it could be started on demand in flight and so meet
> >the very strict ETOPS operating requirements.
>
> There's a brief note in the November issue of New Zealand Wings stating
> that Air New Zealand are claiming that the delivery flight for their latest
> toy, 767-319ER ZK-NCL, from Seattle to Christchurch late last month is the
> longest ever for a commercial twin engined jet aircraft.  The distance given
> is 12,273 km (6627 nm), and the flight took 15 hours, 20 minutes.

Having just included a comment on that flight in a video I just finished,
the record as I understand it was a speed record between Everett,
Washington and Christchurch, New Zealand.  I did not see anything in the
press release I was given about it being the longest-ever delivery flight
for any kind of airplane.  The record set was for speed, not distance.
The course was 12,243 km and the time was 14 hours, 53 minutes.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane