Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         27 Jan 97 02:45:55
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>It's a question of engine noise.  The DC-8s that you see are the
>re-engined/stretched versions.  I think it was the -60 series.

A DC-8-61/62/63 re-engined with CFM56 engines is a DC-8-71/72/73,
respectively.  However, the ones you see in service are not *all*
re-engined versions -- I still regularly see DC-8s with the older
Pratt JT3D engines, and just the other day I saw a picture of a
DC-8-54F with hushkits on the original engines.

The CFM56-powered 70 Series is the most popular, of course, but
they're far from the only ones left.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com