Re: Confusion over 777 variants.

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:24
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca wrote:

> C. Marin Faure wrote:
> > Right now there are only three 777s out there.  The 777-200 (original),
> > the 777-200IGW (increased gross weight version of the original), and the
> > 777-300 (stretch version currently in flight test).
>
> I get the impression that the very first batch of 777s handed to United
> for instance were "early prototypes" (lets call them 777-200) and that
> by now Boeing has new and improved 777-200s available (777-200IGW etc).

Boeing is constantly improving all its airplane models, sometimes on its
own and sometimes in conjuction with the customers.  As improvements are
made, they are incorporated into the airplanes currently in the factory
and also can be retrofitted to the airplanes already in service. While the
first planes received by United may not have had all the improvements and
modifications incorporated into later aircraft, there is no reason these
changes couldn't have been added by United.  I have no idea if or how many
777 updates have been incorporated into United's first 777s.  But
individual airplanes evolve throughout their lives, which is necessary if
the owner is to recoup the full value of its investment.  British Airways'
747-100s and 200s, for example, have had a full-size CRT display added on
the aisle stand which displays some of the information previously
available only on 747-400s.  So even though United got the first 777s, I
would be very suprised if these planes have not benefitted from at least
some of the improvments incorporated into the current 777-200s.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane