Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         27 Jan 97 02:45:55
From:         "Richard Isakson" <rwi@whidbey.com>

Merlin Dorfman <dorfman@netcom.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1997.239@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
>      A couple of weeks ago in this newsgroup there was a thread about the
> number of (early) DC-10s in service as compared to few if any L-1011s.
>      A similar comment might be made about 707s and Dc-8s.  It has been
> a long time since I've seen a 707 (707-airframe TACAMOs and Joint STARS,
> yes, and a double-take at an A340 at DFW last year, but not an airline
> 707).  But I frequently see DC-8s, in cargo service with new engines.
>      Is there a reason that the DC-8 airframes are still in service
> up to 30 years later while the 707s are not?

It's a question of engine noise.  The DC-8s that you see are the
re-engined/stretched versions.  I think it was the -60 series.  Boeing made
the strategic decision not to re-engine/stretch the 707 (though they looked
very hard at it).  They did re-engine the military versions but choose not
to certify the changes.

Rich