Re: Compressor Stall at Takeoff?

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:23
From:         Derik <enigma@visi.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> >Needless to say, the pilot continued the takeoff roll and the flight
> >proceeded normally.
>
> I'm surprised.

Not I, if a compressor stall is experienced on initial power up under
normal conditions, it usually signifies a fuel problem.  But in instance
of a periodic tailwind, chances are you only had a burp.

> >A few minutes later, the captain got on the loudspeaker and said that we had
> >experenced a compressor stall in one of the engines. He said that it was
> >common when taking off into a strong crosswind.

Usually it is a tailwind that will cause a compressor stall.  They are
very common when doing powerbacks with a good wind outside.

> In a recent discussion (archives of sci.aeronautics.airliners are at
> http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html) it was noted that
> compressor stalls are not uncommon on the #2 (center) engine of
> L-1011s at high angle-of-attack due to the intake being partly blocked
> by the fuselage.  It wouldn't be surprising if the same were true to
> some degree on the 727.

Actually, the 727's #2 engine isn't that prone to having compressor
stalls.  It seems like we get them more on the #1 or #3.

> >Is this true? More importantly, when a compressor stall occurs, is there a
> >loss of power in the stalled engine?
>
> Your description certainly sounds like a compressor stall.  Yes, there
> is a power loss -- and often damage to the engine, which is why I am
> surprised that the flight continued.

A short burp actually.  Compressor stalls usually won't cause any damage
to an engine if they are not at high power settings.  If they did, we
would never be able to keep spare engines in stock. :)  Like I said, if
the stall was on initial powerup and there was only one, I feel there
would be no problem in continuing.  However, if you experienced a stall
at higher power settings, (which is more uncommon due to the amount of
air flowing through the engines), stop that sucker. :)