Re: airbag anyone??

Date:         09 Dec 97 03:54:22
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Followups:    1 2 3

>i have been wondering whether it would be practical to have airbag
>installed on an airliner to increase the chance of survival.

I'd expect survivable airliner accidents to be relatively low G, at
least along the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, as there are lots
of crumple zones.  The need for the greater upper body restraint
offered by airbags (or shoulder belts) would therefore be reduced.
Basically, an airbag would be an expensive and complex solution to a
problem which may not exist.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com