Re: DC-8s in service; no 707s?

Date:         27 Jan 97 02:45:55
From:         Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu>

Merlin Dorfman wrote:
> It has been
> a long time since I've seen a 707 (707-airframe TACAMOs and Joint STARS,
> yes, and a double-take at an A340 at DFW last year, but not an airline
> 707).  But I frequently see DC-8s, in cargo service with new engines.
>      Is there a reason that the DC-8 airframes are still in service
> up to 30 years later while the 707s are not?

I saw a cargo 707 about 3 years ago belonging to a smaller cargo
company, not one of the big ones. About a 2 years ago I saw an
immaculate, gleaming 707 on the ramp in El Paso, and discovered that it
was a German Air Force aircarft. Others have later info on the
disposition of the 707 fleet than I do, but last I heard there were
still quite a few 707's carrying passengers in other countries-
particularly Latin America and the middle East. My guesses as to why we
see more cargo carrying DC-8's than 707's in the US would be that DC-8
airframes are less in demand for non-cargo applications, both overseas
and by vairious air forces. Also, I suspect that the first-line
operators of both aircraft held on to their 707's and ran them up to
higher hours than did DC-8 operators (not that the DC-8 isn't an
excellent aircraft, but it was decidedly less popular than the 707).

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029