Re: aborted takeoff and brake damage

Date:         29 Nov 97 15:39:58
From:         tyler@plk.af.mil (David Tyler)

"Steven G. Thomson" <sthomson@i1.net> writes:

>> in my days as a 707 FE, we had charts provided to let us know how
>> long the landing gear had to be left extended to cool them down in
>> in the event of an aborted takeoff immediately followed by a success-
>> ful takeoff.

>Would taking off and planning to leave the gear down for a few extra
>minutes during the initial climb have a significant impact on the rate of
>climb and therefore obstruction clearance/takeoff weight?

good question...  at times, the 80s seem so far away...  :)  ok; with a
strong ``AS I RECALL" clause appended, obstruction clearance charts are
generated using ``gear down" performance anyway (at least for the 707).

i have some old manuals at home; i'll go look and make sure.

dave
-David W. Tyler               "It seems you feel our work is not
-USAF Phillips Laboratory         of benefit to the public."
-Albuquerque, New Mexico
-tyler@plk.af.mil                         --Rachel