Re: aborted takeoff and brake damage

Date:         29 Nov 97 15:39:58
From:         "Mark Rogers" <mmrogers@tcsn.net>

Steven G. Thomson <sthomson@i1.net> wrote in article <airliners.1997.2742@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> > in my days as a 707 FE, we had charts provided to let us know how
> > long the landing gear had to be left extended to cool them down in
> > in the event of an aborted takeoff immediately followed by a success-
> > ful takeoff.
>
> Would taking off and planning to leave the gear down for a few extra
> minutes during the initial climb have a significant impact on the rate of
> climb and therefore obstruction clearance/takeoff weight?

Yes.  I don't know of any aircraft today where you would leave the gear
down to cool the brakes after a rejected takeoff.  There are brake cooling
charts, and a subsequent takeoff would not be permitted until after the
brakes had cooled sufficiently.  Most aircraft (over about 100,000 lbs) I
know of now require an inspection after a high speed abort.

--Mark Rogers