Re: de-icing

Date:         29 Nov 97 03:24:31
From:         Seth Dillon <bdillon1@mindspring.com>

Sjoerd Postma wrote:
> Does anybody know if groundcrew responsible for de-icing aircraft need a
> dedicated license by FAA? Of course the ultimate responsibility of
> accepting the aircraft after a de-icing/anti-icing treatment lies with
> the pilot-in-command, but still. So far I know there is no special
> requirement in Europe and most companies do some kind of an in-house
> training program for their de-icing crews. I know there is some concern,
> that those responsible for de-icing aircraft, particularly at smaller
> airports, or those in locations that experienced infrequent ground
> icing, were not so competent at carrying out the task. In addition, that
> the fluids and equipment used to deliver it, was felt to be sometimes of
> unknown quality.

There is no requirement for a person to hold a certificate to deice
aircraft.  That said, there are training requirements, fluid handling
requirements, etc.  These are outlined in an advisory circular.  Each
carrier must have in its FAA approved manual a section detailing how it
meets those requirements.

The PIC is ultimatly responsible for the proper deicing of the aircraft.
Type 1 fluid is pretty simple to apply, Type II and IV are a little
trickier but far more effective.

The key is to be very aware of OAT, and what is coming down, and how
hard.  Knowing this, and what is being sprayed on the aircraft (and how
it is diluted for type I) the PIC can refer to a chart, which should be
in the POM, to calculate dwell time (how long from the start of the
fluid application to TO).  It is an FAA requirement that that
information be communicated to the PIC.

-Seth