Re: de-icing

Date:         29 Nov 97 03:24:30
From:         ehahn@mitre.org (Edward Hahn)

In article <airliners.1997.2770@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Postma@nlr.nl wrote:
>Does anybody know if groundcrew responsible for de-icing aircraft need a
>dedicated license by FAA? Of course the ultimate responsibility of
>accepting the aircraft after a de-icing/anti-icing treatment lies with
>the pilot-in-command, but still.

In he US, no separate license is required for ground crew to de-ice an
aircraft.  Responsibility for de-icing is on the airline, BTW; and each
airline must develop an approved de-icing program.  Each ground crewmember who
engages in de-icing activities is required to have training in the individual
airline's program.  Note that the de-icer does not have to be an airline
employee; he/she need only have been trained and approved by the airline.

> So far I know there is no special
>requirement in Europe and most companies do some kind of an in-house
>training program for their de-icing crews. I know there is some concern,
>that those responsible for de-icing aircraft, particularly at smaller
>airports, or those in locations that experienced infrequent ground
>icing, were not so competent at carrying out the task. In addition, that
>the fluids and equipment used to deliver it, was felt to be sometimes of
>unknown quality.

Again, in the US, the ground crew must be trained in the airline's program;
there is no generic program.

In addition, as part of the operation of the airline, the de-icing personnel
is subject to inspection by FAA operations inspectors.  Given the long
"off-season" for de-icing, I'm sure that this part of the operation is given
extra scrutiny at the start of the de-icing season.

ed

The above statement is the opinion of the author.  No endorsement
or warranty by the MITRE Corporation is expressed or implied.