Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         29 Nov 97 03:24:28
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)
Followups:    1 2 3

C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote:
>  I just returned from Auckland where we
>filmed a story on Air New Zealand's 767 ETOPS capabilities.  They were
>heavily involved in working with the vendor(s) to modify the 767's APU
>back in the 1980s so it could be started on demand in flight and so meet
>the very strict ETOPS operating requirements.

There's a brief note in the November issue of New Zealand Wings stating
that Air New Zealand are claiming that the delivery flight for their latest
toy, 767-319ER ZK-NCL, from Seattle to Christchurch late last month is the
longest ever for a commercial twin engined jet aircraft.  The distance given
is 12,273 km (6627 nm), and the flight took 15 hours, 20 minutes.

Janes Aircraft Recognition Guide gives the range of the "767" as 6805 nm.

(I find a lot of of numbers in this book a bit suspect -- if not just plain
 wrong, they often refer to an oddball model, eg the 747 is given as having
 more range than the separately listed 747-400, it would appear because
 they've lumped the 747-SP into the "747" entry and used the 747 Classic
 dimensions and the -SP's performance.  This makes this book rather less
 useful than I'd like.  Someone care to recommend a better reference?)

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting