Re: ETOPS question on Aer Lingus A330

Date:         29 Nov 97 03:24:27
From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)
Followups:    1 2 3

>Qantas has both JT9D- and CF6-powered B767s.  At one time, Air New Zealand
>had the same (when it acquired two China Airlines' JT9D-powered B767s).
>I believe ANZ has since sold the two odd planes.

this was not qiute as irrational as it seems on QANTAS's part. The
JT9's are -7R's and are only on the -200's. The CF6's are on the
-300's. At the time the 767-300ER's were ordered, there was no
suitable P&W engine as far as QF was concerned. They were going to
need a new engine in the inventory anyway. The JT9's weren't big
enough for the -300's, the RB211-524H wasn't being delivered, and
neither were the PAW4000's. RR had only one customer (I think it still
does, BA). In short the CF6 was the only proven engine at the time of
order.

Given the QF route structure, it doesn't pay for them to operate
aircraft with unusual configurations. They can be very hard to get
fixed at remote stations. If you use commonly used and available
engines, there is likely to be a pooled spare or expertise and parts
in most places.

My recollections anyway.

 I suspect GE helped things along by making QF a repair station for
CF6's. The 767-300ER's are QANTAS's only GE powered aircraft. (Yes
they now some A300 with CF6 and CFM56 as a result of Australian
Airlines merger).