Re: A340-500/600 vs. B777-200X/B747-200X etc.

Date:         29 Nov 97 03:24:24
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I was totally unaware the 767-200 was ever in military use, except for
>the prototype airborne laser testbed with the cupola on top.  Please
>educate me.

The 767's military use (other than the experiment you mention, using
767 line number 1) is as the 767 AWACS.  As far as I know, they've
only been built for Japan and are designated 767-27C by Boeing (7C is
simply Boeing's customer code for the Government of Japan) and as the
E-767 by the Japan Air Self Defense Force.  For more information, see
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/infoelect/767awacs/.

Boeing has also proposed the 767 as a military tanker/transport (see
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/767t-t/) but I haven't
heard of much military interest in this project to date.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com