"Boeing" DC-9?? (was Re: Douglas DC-5)

Date:         25 Nov 97 03:26:09
From:         Steve Lacker <look@the.sig>

Pete wrote:

> >KLM does not have any MD-80s or MD-90s, and has not ordered any MD-95s.
>
> But they're all DC9s anyway....
>
> [Moderator's Note: Boeing DC-9s at that!  :-)  -- Karl]

What is the official deal with that anyway? I've heard some airlines
have started referring to MD-80/90's as "Boeing" airplanes. Does this
mean that we should call it a "Boeing" DC-5? "Boeing" DC-7c? I think
not! Chrysler bought AMC, but if you call someone's 1969 AMX a "Dodge"
you'd better prepare for an argument... (both from Dodge *and* AMX
drivers, actually... :-)

So does the official name change apply to aircraft lines that are still
in production during/after the buyout? In other words, the MD-11 and MD
80/90 are "Boeings", but the DC-10 is still a McDD? That would make some
sense to me. (Actually, I think anything that was designed by Douglas
should still be *called* a Douglas, but thats too confusing for the
general masses.)

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029