Re: A340-500/600 vs. B777-200X/B747-200X etc.

Date:         25 Nov 97 03:26:08
From:         jf mezei <"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> Setting up an entirely new line for a new, longer version, would be
> quite expensive, plus there simply doesn't appear to be available
> space.  The story could change if, say, the adjacent 767 line is
> moved to Long Beach, as has been mentioned as a possibility.

A while back, there was a documentary on the US "TLC" network about the
747.
Quite a bit of time was spent showing the efforts and troubles Boeing
had to deal with in building a new plant before it could even build the
first 747. It necessitated the building of a railway, huge hangars in
mud filled areas (they had to be paved to allow the trucks to move
around during construction).

I have no idea if the current production facilities date back from the
original 747 production, but I would assume that if there is a big
enough market, Boeing would build a new hangar/plant/bay to accomodate
the longer fuselage.

But the bigger question is whether Boeing could politically/legally use
the McD  facilities it now owns.

[Moderator's Note: The 767 and 777 are assembled in the same facilities
which were originally built for the 747, though they've been expanded
significantly since the early 1970s.  -- Karl]