Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         24 Nov 97 03:27:49
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Followups:    1 2 3 4

>Now imagine the Concorde takes off from JFK, goes up to is cruising
>level (60000ft?), and then crosses the sound barrier right above my
>head. How much noise will I perceive?

I was at Edwards AFB for their recent airshow, which included an
SR-71B doing a Mach 3 flyover at about 75,000 ft.  The boom sounded
like a couple of gunshots from a few hundred yards.  I don't know if
lower speed would reduce the intensity (I have a feeling it wouldn't)
but lower altitude and a larger aircraft would probably cancel out any
advantage of lower speed.

>If it is a heck of a lot, then you are right. If it is not, then the
>ban imposed by the US on supersonic flights over its own land was a
>political knee jerk to assure the Concorde was a failure.

While not tremendous, I can see how the noise could be startling and
thus worse than a conventional jet flying over at a few thousand feet,
especially if it happened a number of times per day, every day.

There was also the matter of engine noise on takeoff.  Having heard
a Concorde departure when the aircraft was about fifteen miles out
from Heathrow, I can easily understand why nobody wanted the thing
around.  The racket must be horrific up close.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com