Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         24 Nov 97 03:27:49
From:         tassio@watson.ibm.com
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Andrew Weir wrote:
>Surely the main reason was very simple, and it is in the heart of why all civil
>supersonic transports are fundamentally unsound (...)
>Nobody will tolerate
>sonic bangs overland. To the uninitiated, describing a sonic bang ("boom"
>is a complete misnomer) is simple: it is the loudest noise you ever
>heard in your life.

I am so glad you posted because we finally have a participant in these
forums who is an expert in sonic booms. I am one of these "uninitiated"
and here is what I've been wanting to know for ages:
The noise level generated by a sonic boom is a function of the distance
from the source of noise. Sitting at the nose of the plane, I'll hear the
loudest thing on Earth. If one is a couple of hundred miles from the
source, he won't hear a thing. Now imagine the Concorde takes off from
JFK, goes up to is cruising level (60000ft?), and then crosses the sound
barrier right above my head. How much noise will I perceive? If it is a
heck of a lot, then you are right. If it is not, then the ban imposed by
the US on supersonic flights over its own land was a political knee jerk
to assure the Concorde was a failure.

Tassio