Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         24 Nov 97 03:27:49
From:         mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber)
Followups:    1 2 3 4

>Surely the main reason was very simple, and is the heart of why all civil
>supersonic transports are fundamentally unsound (quite apart from take-off
>noise, pollution and the ozone layer depletion)? Nobody will tolerate
>sonic bangs over land. To the uninitiated, describing a sonic bang ("boom"
>is a complete misnomer) is simple: it is simply the loudest noise you ever
>heard in your life.

It was more than just the sonic boom. The aircraft was is
exceptionally noisey. I have friends who used to live in Twyford UK,
just outside Reading. They were directly under the path of Concorde
for the trip to JFK, and about 35 miles from the end of the runway.
Everyafternoon about 4PM the whole house rattled. Came to call it 4
o'clock Concorde. It was simply amazing how loud the thing was, and if
you looked, you could find it in the sky, but  my guess is that it
went over at something around 15,000 feet. I have also been number 1
for takeoff in a 747 behind Concorde, and it is a pretty good racket
even inside the 747.

I subsequently met up with a gentlemen who had worked on the design of
the engines, and he admitted that the noise level behind and below the
Olympus engines was very very high.