Re: Boeing decisions on Douglas products

Date:         23 Nov 97 03:04:04
From:         domk1031@sp.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Burkhard Domke)

On 21 Nov 97 01:59:54 , marguet@MIT.EDU wrote:
>> True, but one of the options Boeing recently considered as a counter
>> to a possible A3XX was resurrecting the MD-12 -- the 500-600 seater
>> with four 777-class engines, not the re-winged MD-11.  This option
>> would allow Boeing to offer a new aircraft, in lieu of a further 747
>> derivative, but with a quicker time-to-market since much of the
>> groundwork has already been done.
>
>What about the Blended-Wing-Body project of MD ? I attended few week ago
>a conference by Dr Liebeck Boeing's program manager for the project.
>Liebeck said clearly that the BWB is a rival to the A3XX.

IIRC, BWB and flying wing designs can by no means be made to comply
with current cabin emergency egress rules.

Additionally, the optimum cruise Mach number of both BWB and FW
concepts may be well below today's standard Mach 0,78-0,85 range, thus
posing some ATC scheduling/separation inconveniencies. Same problem
applies to HLFC.

Ground infrastructure compatibility is another issue.

Last but not least, the market is terribly biased against "exotic"
configurations.

Burkhard Domke