Re: Virgin Atlantic A340 Undercarriage incident

Date:         23 Nov 97 03:04:02
From:         niels@nospam.demon.co.uk (Niels Sampath)

           thomas@nbnet.nb.ca "Dave Pullan" writes:
>Which leads me to wonder, do the authorities not have other airports to
>"suggest" to the capt to land at rather than close Heathrow, of all
>airports.  While I have not explored the availability of crash rescue
>services at, for example Stansted, about 30 miles NE of Heathrow, and of
>7000 feet runway length or more, if my memory is correct, it seems to me
>that there should be a plan to keep UK's premiere airport from being closed
>in most potential accidents.  Of course, lives are the number one priority,
>but I doubt a business jet with the same problem would have been allowed to
>so easily disrupt aviation.

	This was discussed on uk.transport.air a few weeks ago.
I think the key point was that the plane used up its fuel
circling LHR in anticipation of a successful gear lowering
(trying to G-force the gear down  or find some other fix)
so that in the end when a diversion to RAF Manston was suggested
the fuel situation already necessatated LHR.

--
-Niels