Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         21 Nov 97 01:59:55
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

Dennis L. Murphy <dlmurphy@neosoft.com> wrote:
>This comment is attributed to the Captain of the Pan Am 707, departing
>SFO for HNL in the early 60's, that lost (engine left the airframe) the
>right outermost engine and approximately 8 feet of the right wing.  A fire
>started, but was extinguished with onboard fire suppresant material and
>the aircraft landed, sucessfully, at a large military airfield on the
>north side of the SFO bay.
>
>I was sitting in a window seat on the right side of the aircraft when it
>happened and very vividly remember the Captain's words......

The picture I'm looking at shows the wing essentially severed at the
No. 4 pylon.  I thought that represented a bit more than 8'.

The quote given is -- and correct me if I'm (or rather Time Life Books 8-)
wrong -- is "Folks, we have a little minor problem ... well, maybe it's not
so minor."

BA's Captain Eric Moody, is quoted as saying as his 747 flew into a cloud
of ash and lost all engine power, "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,
This is your captain speaking.  We have a small problem.  All four engines
have stopped.  We are doing our damnest to to get them going again.  I trust
you are not in too much distress."

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting