Re: Overhead Bins

Date:         21 Nov 97 01:59:54
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>

P. Wezeman wrote:
>    There have been several newspaper articles about the danger and
> inconvenience of excess carry on baggage recently. The "Wall Street
> Journal" even mentioned people stowing bowling balls, which I hope
> is unusual.

I saw thinks like scateboards, wine-sixpacks, metallic trolleys stored
in the bins ...

>    From their looks, overhead bins seem to be intended to hold blankets,
> pillows, jackets and coats, and perhaps small soft-sided luggage. They
> do not seem to be designed to contain dangerous missiles in a crash;
> many of the complaints are about things falling out and hitting people
> during normal flight or while stowing or unstowing things.

Don't forget in-flight turbulences

>(SNIP)
>    Is the danger more apparent than real? Are people ever injured or
> killed by objects from overhead bins in what would otherwise be a
> survivable crash, or do the objects tend to end up in the aisle instead?

Either in the aisle or in the head of C, D, G or H passengers

> If there is sufficient warning before a forced landing, do cabin
> attendants attempt to remove the most dangerous items from overhead?

All depends on the situation and the cabin crew itself, even if
instructions tell you to do something specific.

Rgds,
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
---->>>>> Check out my aircraft homepage <<<<<----
WWW  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/