Re: Virgin Atlantic A340 Undercarriage incident

Date:         21 Nov 97 01:59:53
From:         "Dave Pullan" <thomas@nbnet.nb.ca>

>> Karl wrote on Sun Nov 16 05:16:17 1997:
>>> the aircraft finally
>>> landed on the foamed south runway (27L, I assume) with only about 15
>>> minutes of fuel remaining, ...

> There seemed to be a huge delay in getting the runway cleared
> afterwards - about 24 hours before the aircraft was finally
> moved. The impact on schedules - especially European and
> domestic was terrible. I was surprised that the A340 wasn't moved
> off the runway and everything cleared up before the next morning.
> Andrew.

Which leads me to wonder, do the authorities not have other airports to
"suggest" to the capt to land at rather than close Heathrow, of all
airports.  While I have not explored the availability of crash rescue
services at, for example Stansted, about 30 miles NE of Heathrow, and of
7000 feet runway length or more, if my memory is correct, it seems to me
that there should be a plan to keep UK's premiere airport from being closed
in most potential accidents.  Of course, lives are the number one priority,
but I doubt a business jet with the same problem would have been allowed to
so easily disrupt aviation.

Dave Pullan