Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         21 Nov 97 01:59:52
From:         Marilu + Bjarne Jensen <mbjensen@image.dk>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> I'm pretty sure none of the Boeing airliners have APUs certified for
> re-start once cruising altitude has been reached, primarily because
> of problems getting it lit after an extended cold-soak.  That doesn't
> imply that it *can't* be started in the air, and perhaps at lower
> altitudes it might work if you had to try it.

Sorry, except the 727 (APU in the belly), all Boing APU's are certified
for restart in-flight. Some are not guarantied to restart above a
certain level - but once started it will - and may be - operated
continuosly. For a engine inflight restart you could run into a EGT
problem at altitude. Anyway, about 250-270 KIAS is all it takes to do a
windmill restart and if you got one engine running there is also the
posibility of  cross-bleeding.

Regards
Bjarne in CPH