Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         21 Nov 97 01:59:52
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.2652@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:

> I'm pretty sure none of the Boeing airliners have APUs certified for
> re-start once cruising altitude has been reached, primarily because
> of problems getting it lit after an extended cold-soak.  That doesn't
> imply that it *can't* be started in the air, and perhaps at lower
> altitudes it might work if you had to try it.

All ETOPS twins must be able to immediately start their APUs at cruising
altitude even after hours of cold-soaking.  This requirement was addressed
very early in the development of the 777, and was one of the first program
"milestones" that was achieved.  I just returned from Auckland where we
filmed a story on Air New Zealand's 767 ETOPS capabilities.  They were
heavily involved in working with the vendor(s) to modify the 767's APU
back in the 1980s so it could be started on demand in flight and so meet
the very strict ETOPS operating requirements.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane