Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         21 Nov 97 01:59:52
From:         malc@mci2000.com (Malcolm Weir)

On 20 Nov 97 02:53:41 , "Dennis L. Murphy" <dlmurphy@neosoft.com> caused to
appear as if it was written:

>> What was it the Captain said over the intercom, a few seconds after
>> everyone on board had heard the last engine die? Something about "Ladies
>> and gentlemen, we have a slight problem."

>This comment is attributed to the Captain of the Pan Am 707, departing
>SFO for HNL in the early 60's, that lost (engine left the airframe) the
>right outermost engine and approximately 8 feet of the right wing.  A fire
>started, but was extinguished with onboard fire suppresant material and
>the aircraft landed, sucessfully, at a large military airfield on the
>north side of the SFO bay.

While the Pan Am incident may have had a similar announcement, the Captain
of BA's glider made an announcement that must be one of the great's of
in-flight commentary, which included the words "we are doing are damnedest
to get them going again" (or something to that effect).

It was not, however, a few seconds after the engines shut down.  The folks
in the cockpit were rather busy at that point.  As we've just discussed, the
glide lasted 13 minutes, long enough for the cabin crew to perform ditching
briefings, etc, and somewhere in there was the celebrated announcement.

Malc.