Re: Boeing decisions on Douglas products

Date:         20 Nov 97 02:53:42
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>>BOEING CONSIDERS ALSO THE LAUNCH OF THE MD-12 !

>Excuse me?  McDonnell-Douglas had pretty much pulled the plug on all future
>wide-body developments ...

True, but one of the options Boeing recently considered as a counter
to a possible A3XX was resurrecting the MD-12 -- the 500-600 seater
with four 777-class engines, not the re-winged MD-11.  This option
would allow Boeing to offer a new aircraft, in lieu of a further 747
derivative, but with a quicker time-to-market since much of the
groundwork has already been done.  I can't recall where I read it but
it was probably in AvLeak.  I'm pretty sure the idea has been shelved.

>(Moderator(s):  How did this message get though?...seems very
>uncharacteristic for a m.t.a-i posting (i.e.: no substantiation, etc.))

I approved it because, even if not well presented, it did have some
basis in fact, and seemed like it could lead to an interesting
discussion.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com