Re: SAS ditching near LAX

Date:         21 Jan 97 01:32:27
From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.235@ohare.Chicago.COM>, chuck_totman@hp.com wrote:

>JAL contracted with United to accept the ditched JAL DC-8 for repair in
>United's heavy maintenance facility at SFO.  The plane did fly again.
>I am unable to provide more complete identity information and I don't
>know whether the plane was later sold to United or not.  However, I
>wanted to head off confusion that United had bought the plane based
>simply on the fact that it went to the United facility for repairs.

Whether it was the same plane or not, an ex-JAL DC-8-71 did end up in the
UA fleet - N8177U I believe. I was on it once. The F cabin had the galley
in a different location but the real giveaway was the Japanese words
engraved on the lavatory metalwork.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/