Re: ETOPS question on Aer Lingus A330

Date:         20 Nov 97 02:53:41
From:         dwl@watson.ibm.com ()

In article <airliners.1997.2592@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "tom.molamphy" <tom.molamphy@MCI2000.com> writes:
> I flew JFK-Shannon (Ireland) a few weeks ago on an Aer Lingus A330. The
> pilot indicated that the flight time would be longer than usual because it
> would have to be a "non-ETOPS" flight - so we had to fly over Greenland.
> Any ideas on what the issue is here? I don't believe that the Aer Lingus
> fleet has Trent engines so I don't think that's the issue. In any case the
> A330 is certainly comfortable and all in all Aer Lingus does a decent job.

Most likely the plane had something broken which is on the Minimum Equipment
List (MEL) for ETOPS operation, but not for normal flight. So you end up
taking a path north, over greenland to keep within non-ETOPS rules for the
flight. Takes a little longer, but probably better than waiting for whatever
it was to get fixed.

- David

--
David W. Levine --  dwl@watson.ibm.com  -- IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center