Re: ETOPS Question

Date:         20 Nov 97 02:53:41
From:         "Dennis L. Murphy" <dlmurphy@neosoft.com>

This comment is attributed to the Captain of the Pan Am 707, departing
SFO for HNL in the early 60's, that lost (engine left the airframe) the
right outermost engine and approximately 8 feet of the right wing.  A fire
started, but was extinguished with onboard fire suppresant material and
the aircraft landed, sucessfully, at a large military airfield on the
north side of the SFO bay.

I was sitting in a window seat on the right side of the aircraft when it
happened and very vividly remember the Captain's words......