Re: ETOPS question on Aer Lingus A330

Date:         16 Nov 97 19:58:46
From:         Seth Dillon <bdillon1@mindspring.com>

tom.molamphy wrote:
> I flew JFK-Shannon (Ireland) a few weeks ago on an Aer Lingus A330. The
> pilot indicated that the flight time would be longer than usual because it
> would have to be a "non-ETOPS" flight - so we had to fly over Greenland.
> Any ideas on what the issue is here? I don't believe that the Aer Lingus
> fleet has Trent engines so I don't think that's the issue. In any case the
> A330 is certainly comfortable and all in all Aer Lingus does a decent job.

As you may know, each aircraft has what is called a Minimum Equipment
List.  This is a document approved by the national airworthiness
authority of the carriers country of origen and it lists what may
components may be inoperative, how long before they must be fixed, and
what special restrictions apply.  There is a myriad of things that could
cause an aircraft to be downgrared to non-ETOPS, usually a failure in
one of the redundent systems required for ETOPS operation is the cause.
It is in the carriers best interest to repair the aircraft as soon as
possible as non-ETOPS routing adds considerable time and expense to the
trip.

-Seth