Re: Virgin Atlantic A340 Undercarriage incident

Date:         16 Nov 97 19:58:45
From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Followups:    1 2 3

Karl wrote on Sun Nov 16 05:16:17 1997:
>  Several attempts were made to jar the
> gear loose, to no avail.  With fuel running low, the aircraft finally
> landed on the foamed south runway (27L, I assume) with only about 15
> minutes of fuel remaining, ...

All of the news reports I have seen stated that (in addition
to trying to force the gear down with positive g), the pilots
circled for 40 minutes to burn off excess fuel before attempting
the crash landing. (Since the A340 has the capability to dump
fuel, unlike the A320, this puzzled me a bit.)

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk, Web: http://www@csr.city.ac.uk/