Re: A340-500/600 vs. B777-200X/B747-200X etc.

Date:         16 Nov 97 19:58:45
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Jun Eu Tang  <ms7jet@mtek.chalmers.se> wrote:
>I thought the A340-500/600 has already been launched by Virgin and Air
>Canada. Maybe it is not official yet?

It will be official in a few weeks' time, perhaps at this week's Dubai
Air Show.

>I recall that both EVA and CAL signed LoI's for the B777, and the former
>was interested in the combi version. What does it mean in terms of level
>of commitment when airlines sign Letters of Intent (LoI)?

Well, I believe Virgin had even paid deposits to Boeing to secure some
B777 delivery slots.  Obviously, it only counts when the final contract
is signed; LoI/MoU doesn't mean much.

[snip]

>Well... regarding the B777-200X. The currency crisis affecting South
>East Asian nations might really hurt the Malaysia Airlines order (for 15
>units, AFAIK), don't you think? I don't know if they signed any LoI or
>MoU or whatever.

Malaysia is still relatively healthy.  The 15 units previously
announced in an MoU consisted of only 6 "firm" orders.  I don't
think Malaysia will have any problem committing to 6 planes.
Perhaps, the B777-200X program is jinxed by Malaysia's order.  ;-)
(Remember that Malaysia was also the first potential customer for
the B747-500X/-600X program.)