Re: Concorde's other customers

Date:         15 Nov 97 16:24:45
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

Stephen H. Westin <westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu> wrote:
>BA and AF were, of course, government-owned airlines, and carrying
>through was a way of saving face. I believe they lost money in service
>for some years.

I don't believe the airlines lost money on Concorde any more than an airline
"loses" money on any new aircraft while waiting for the thing to turn enough
profit to pay its purchase price -- especially when the promotional value of
the aircraft is taken into account.  However, they did only pay the original
projected price for them (based on a *lot* more aircraft sold), leaving the
French & British Governments wearing the development costs.

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting