Virgin Atlantic A340 Undercarriage incident

Date:         15 Nov 97 16:24:44
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Is there any word yet as to why the port main failed to come down?

Aviation Week (November 10, 1997, p. 59) says a "preliminary
inspection points to a fastener coming loose on a brake rod, which
possibly impeded the movement of the landing gear as it was trying
to extend."

>(A Virgin Atlantic A340 made a successful semi-belly landing at Heathrow
>last week [from Los Angeles] when the port main jammed in the mid-up/down
>position. Everybody got off [some injuries during the shute egress]

G-VSKY (an A340-311, name China Girl) was operating VS 024 LAX-LHR
with 98 passengers and 16 crew.  On approach, the left main landing
gear failed to extend.  The center and right mains as well as the
nose gear deployed normally.  Several attempts were made to jar the
gear loose, to no avail.  With fuel running low, the aircraft finally
landed on the foamed south runway (27L, I assume) with only about 15
minutes of fuel remaining, tipping onto one of its engines (probably
#1) during the rollout.  Nine people (including at least two crew)
were treated for minor injuries received during the evacuation.

>Will the plane fly again? My guess is yes eventually.

It's not uncommon for airliners to land with one or more landing gear
unextended and, except for very old aircraft that were near the end
of their life anyway, they're fixed up and put back in service.  No
reason this one should be different.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com