Re: 747-400 Initial Cruise

Date:         15 Nov 97 16:24:43
From:         robinjohnson@southcom.com.au (Robin Johnson)

Jan-Olov Newborg <newborg@algonet.se> wrote:
>Boeing 767 flying from Bangkok to Europe, many the times get final level
>270 inbound New Dehli, a common level for Beach 200, all because B767
>cruises to slow compared to B747-400 and MD11 and traffic control keeps
>767 down at low alt. After India over Afganistan and Russia higher level
>is given to the slow B767.

The well-known "Thousand Bomber Raid" (which simply means that most
SEAsia-Europe flights seem to want clearance over the extremely
restricted airspace over India & Pakistan at the same times) has the
effect that it is hard to get ideal cruising altitudes.  I wonder if
this will start to improve now that B777s are starting to be used on
these flights.  I don't suppose it will really improve until the ATC
improves, and there are more routes, such as via China, to  choose
from.
BTW, can someone post "normal" cruising altitudes and speeds for the
main types used today?