Re: Douglas DC-5

Date:         15 Nov 97 16:24:41
From:         don@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)

Stephen H. Westin <westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu> wrote:
>Far East as WW II advanced. At that point, KLM had bought at least one
>of every airliner Douglas had produced.

Erm, not exactly.  TWA operated the one and only DC-1.  The -1 was
essentially the prototype for the DC-2 and DC-3 -- it's the same basic
shape but about 2/3rds the size, built in response to the Boeing 247,
because due to to Boeing's commitments to United (then part of the same
conglomerate, along with Pratt & Whitney & Hamilton Standard Propellors),
TWA couldn't get 247s.  Faced with a need to replace their Fokker
trimotors in a hurry after one had crashed due to a rotten wooden wing
spar and killing a famous football coach, TWA went to Douglas, who had,
perhaps, more data on the 247 than they should have due to lack of any
kind of security around von Karman's wind tunnel at Caltech where the
247 design was tested.

Douglas delivered the DC-1 to TWA, then under pressure from TWA for an
even better aircraft (the -1 was already largely better and faster than
the 247), scaled up the design to build the DC-2.  The rest, as they say,
is history.

>I always wondered about the gap in the series DC-2, DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, ...

And you didn't notice the gap in the beginning of the series? 8-)

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting