Re: Douglas DC-5

Date:         15 Nov 97 16:24:41
From:         "Walter E. Shepherd, K2ZPA" <shepherd@courier6.aerospam.org>

Stephen H. Westin wrote:
> I just happened across a book in the library: a history of
> airlines. WHile leafing through, I found a photo of a Douglas
> DC-5. This was a 2-engine, high-wing, tricycle-gear
> monoplane. Apparently the first one was delivered to KLM's West Indies
> division in the spring of 1940; these planes were transferred to the
> Far East as WW II advanced. At that point, KLM had bought at least one
> of every airliner Douglas had produced.
>
> I always wondered about the gap in the series DC-2, DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, ...

I'll just hazard a guess that there was more than a family resemblance of the
DC-5 with the A-20 Havoc, a twin trike-gear bomber Douglas was building for
the UK at the time. I think the USAAF bought some A-20's at the time, but
these probably got taken out in the early days of the Pacific war. The DC-5
probably never made the big time because Douglas was pretty busy satisfying
wartime customers at the time. I would also guess that the A-26 Invader grew
out of the A-20 later in the war. (I have always thought that the A-26 was one
of the most graceful and genuinely "pretty" aircraft to ever grace our skys...
the Consolidated Vultee PBY Catalina would rank as one of the most graceful
and genuinely "ugly" aircraft... but equally admireable).
--Walt Shepherd