Re: Radioactive material on CV990 ?

Date:         03 Nov 97 19:20:04
From:         john@pegase.demon.co.uk (John Wright)

On 03 Nov 97 02:18:54 , in <airliners.1997.2551@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
Woodhams wrote:
>mweber@t140.aone.net.au (James Matthew Weber) writes:
>>Actually 737-300/400/500 use tungsten weights in the wingtips.
>>Tungsten is nearly as dense as uranium, but is much more difficult to
>>fabricate. My recollection is 10kg per wingtip.
>
>10 kg of Uranium (or Tungsten) would be a bit over half a litre at a
>guess - a quite trivial volume compared to the size of a 737 wing. Why is
>density so important? Why is a 10kg (half litre) of Tungsten so much
>better than (say) 10kg (2 litre) of rock?

Frequently the masses are used as mass balances on the aerodynamic
surfaces, ailerons and elevators for example, to help balance the air
load with a physical load, so the mass would be placed in front of the
pivot for such a surface.  This helps to increase the flutter speed of
the surface AIUI. You don't want to make the balance weight as small as
possible to keep within the aerodynamic profile of the surface.

--
John Wright